History This list, which includes a photo gallery, has some of the remaining Historic Properties in Buckeye, Arizona.Buckeye was first inhabited by the ancient Native-American tribe known as the Hohokam. A couple of the Historic Properties In Buckeye are listed in the National Register of Historic Properties.The Buckeye Canal was developed in 1884 by Malin M. Jackson. The canal’s name was derived from the Ohio moniker “The Buckeye State”, because Jackson was a native of Ohio.Jackson was born in the town of Sidney and therefore when he founded the town in 1888, he named it “Sidney”.The town’s name was legally changed to Buckeye in 1910 and it was incorporated in 1929.The Buckeye Main Street Coalition, founded in 1986, has the mission of enhancing and preserving historic properties In Buckeye in the downtown area.Just because a property is listed in the NRHP it does not mean that the property is safe from being demolished by its owner. The following is a brief description of the historic properties: By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0Old Spain House – Joshua L. Spain and his family were among the first settlers of Buckeye. He was involved in “The development of the Buckeye canal and owned a large homestead. The house which he built, known as The Old Spain House”, was built in 1886 and is located on Jack Rabbit Trail. the Buckeye Canal, founded in 1885, which helped allow for irrigation and the settling of the southeast Valley. Founder Malin M. Jackson contributed to the development of the Buckeye Canal and the naming of the town, after his home state, OhioBy Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0Liberty School – The first schoolhouse in Buckeye was built in 1890, in the community of Liberty. It was built out of cottonwood on South Liberty School Road on the Southwest corner of Joshua L. Spain’s homestead. A fire destroyed the building and new schoolhouse was built in its place in 1910. The 1910 building, sitting on the corner of Highway 85 and Liberty Road is the oldest, still in use schoolhouse in the state of Arizona. The building currently is being used for music class.By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0Old Farm House – An old abandoned farm house built in 1900 on the Joshua L. Spain homestead.By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0 By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0The Liberty Methodist Church and Memorial Hall – Both the church and memorial hall were built in 1903 and located on South Liberty School Road, across the street from the historic Liberty School.By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0The Long Hotel/Payless Market Building was built in 1909 and is located on the southeast corner of Monroe Ave. and 4th Street. Part of the building once served as a hotel while the rest served as a Pay Less Market Groceries and Meats. Listed as historical by the Buckeye Valley Historical and Archaeological Society.By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0The Old Courthouse and Jail – This building was built in 1912 and is located at 218 S. 4th Street. Over the years the Courthouse and Jail has been used as a Hospital, the grade school auxiliary building, the town library and town food bank. The Buckeye Valley Food Bank was founded by Hugh M. Watson, Buckeye’s first mayor. Listed as historical by the Buckeye Valley Historical and Archaeological Society.By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0Gillespie Dam ruins – The dam was built in 1921. The dam was a concrete gravity dam located on the Gila River between the towns of Buckeye and Gila Benda. On the morning of January 9, 1993. the dam failed when a segment approximately 120 feet (37 m) in length collapsed into the Gila River.By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0Buckeye Union High School A-Wing – The A-Wing was built in 1925 and is located at 902 E. Eason Ave. The school A- wing was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in December 30, 2009, reference #09001160.By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0Gillespie Dam Bridge – The bridge was built in 1927 over the Gila River and is located on Old Highway 80 north of Gila Bend and south of Arlington between the Buckeye Hills and the Gila Bend Mountains in Maricopa County. The bridge was at the time the longest highway bridge in the state of Arizona. The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 5, 1981, reference #81000136.By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0Hassayampa Bridge – The bridge was built in 1929 and was modified and repaired in 1993. The bridge, which is described as a Concrete slab and girder, is located in the Old U.S. Highway Route 80 over the Hassayampa River between Salome Highway and 309 Ave. in the areas of Hassayampa and Arlington within the boundaries of the town of Buckeye. The bridge was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in September 30, 1988, reference #88001658.By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0West Valley Academy – The structure was built in 1930 and is located at 827 E. Monroe Ave. It originally was used as a church. Listed as historical by the Buckeye Valley Historical and Archaeological Society.By Marine 69-71 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0Buckeye Women’s Club – The Women’s Club building was built in June 6, 1935 and is located at 845 East Monroe Ave. Listed as historical by the Buckeye Valley Historical and Archaeological Society.Hobo JoeHobo Joe – Hobo Joe was a 25 foot tall Buckeye landmark created in 1965 and is located in front of Gillums Meat & Locker Co. at 1015 East Monroe Avenue. There is a dispute as to who was the sculptor. The statue and it’s sculptor has a great history and future. Read more here.