• Home  / 
  • History
  •  /  Goodyear Auxiliary Army Air Field Number Six – A Lost Ghost Airfield

Goodyear Auxiliary Army Air Field Number Six – A Lost Ghost Airfield

Goodyear Auxiliary Army Air Field Number Six was built in 1943 as one of a large number of satellite airfields for Luke AAF, which was the largest single-engine advanced training base in the world during WW2.

According to a 1992 Army Corps of Engineers Report, the Goodyear Field property consisted of a total of 1,159 acres.

The “History of Luke AFB” (obtained by David Brooks from the public affairs office at Luke AFB), Goodyear Field (#6) had three 4,000′ x 300′ runways, and the construction costs for its airdrome was $263,000.

Among Luke’s auxiliary airfields, “Fighter & Goodyear Fields boasted the most facilities, each having separate buildings for crew chiefs, operations, supply, barracks, pit latrine, crash truck shed, generator shed & a control tower.”

Building construction cost totaled $24,300.

The earliest depiction of Goodyear Field which has been located was a 6/23/43 aerial view looking north from the 1945 AAF Airport Directory (courtesy of Scott Murdock). It depicted the “Luke Field Auxiliary #6 (Goodyear Field)” as having 2 paved runways connected by a taxiway.

The 1945 AAF Airfield Directory described “Luke Field Auxiliary #6 (Goodyear Field)” as a 940-acre rectangular property within which were three 4,000′ bituminous runways, oriented NNE/SSW, ENE/WSW, and northwest/southeast.

The field was said to not have any hangars, and to be operated by the Army Air Forces.

The site was declared excess & deeded to the State of Arizona in 1949, but was then reestablished & expanded by the Air Force later that same year.

It was last used for emergency landings, dart target launchings, and as an emergency drop zone for flight training missions from Luke AFB.

At some point between 1949-56, the northeast/southwest runway was lengthened toward the northeast, as the 1956 Phoenix Sectional chart depicted “Luke AF #6” as an active with the longest runway as being a 5,300′ hard-surfaced strip.

The Army Corps of Engineers indicated that the site was declared excess in 1957.

However, “Luke AF #6” was still depicted as an active airfield on the 1966 Phoenix Local aeronautical chart.

As of 2002, Goodyear Auxiliary Army Air Field Number Six was owned by the State of Arizona & a number of private individuals.


Click here to add a comment

Leave a comment: